Brief History of the Lyons Falls Library
The Lyons Falls Library was organized and granted it's Provisional Charter on October 28, 1909. The need for a library was noted with the popularity of a reading room and lending library started by the Men's Club. Under the leadership of William Elliman along with a group of young people, funds were raised through subscriptions, social events and movies. A small collection of books was started, many of them gifts. Mrs. O.E. Davis was president of the association for many years and was succeeded by Mrs. H.P. Gould, who served for 38 years. The library received it's Absolute Charter from the state of New York in 1923. For a number of years the library was funded by grants from the Village Board. In 1948 the services to our patrons were greatly augmented by membership in the North Country Library System.
The Lyons Falls Library made it's home in several locations in the village throughout the years. In 1981 the move was made from the old fire hall building on Center Street to it's present home in the Carriage House of the Gould Mansion. A local boy scout, Mark Folino, organized the move to earn his Eagle Scout Award. The room that served as a stable for Mr. Gould, is now a spacious community room. Over the past 100 years, the library has had sixteen librarians. Mrs. Rita Allen served the longest term of 22 years. Mrs. Hazel Drew served for 20 years. Our present library director is Mrs. Carolyn LeVan.